Monday, January 14, 2013

Shabby Chic Vintage Chest of Drawers #Laura Ashley

 
 
I have recently purchased a 1950's vintage chest of drawers, which I was surprised to see it matched my previous creation of my Shabby Chic wardrobe! (It really is a small world!) I couldn't believe my luckk when I stumbled across this at a nearby car boot! Not only does it match my wardrobe but I also purchased it for £10! Bargaiinnnnnnnn!!!!!


 
 
Unfortunately, I didn't take a very clear photograph but this drawers is a very cute size and will fit perfectly within my bedroom! The knobs match the same as the wardrobe and the very top draw curves which matches a typical shape of a tallboy wardrobe.
 
The first step I took to shabby this chest of draws was too give it a good wipe over and remove the knobs. I used a strong grade of 120 sandpaper to shift the the first layer of veneer and allow the paint to stick too. I find using veneer furniture a lot more difficult to shabby as initially it is fake wood and takes a lot more care when stripping and painting.
 
 
Excuse the mess.....
 
As you can see, I have taken all of the draws out, sanded the edges and painted the fronts, sides and top only. You can paint the inside if you wish :)I have used Laura Ashley Dune colour paint.
#a number one tip when painting draws, is buy wax and rub the edges to allow it to open and close properly.
 
 
The above photograph shows the final stages of my creation! I do apologise for the quality of the photographs, but as you may or may not see, I have VERY roughly sanded the edges along the sides and the surface of the drawers.  I have also used some old chain (you can purchase a metre or so of it from B&Q for a couple of pounds) and this allows you to 'whack' it and create pretend age marks, adding to the shabby chic affect!
 
This time around, I have also painted the knobs and lighting scraped them to make them look really distressed too.
 
Awww look how cute my matching wardrobe and draws are...
 
 
Rachael x

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely a commendable post indeed. It's a marvelous vintage chest of drawers. You share splendid piece of information here. Thank you for contributing this informative post..! ......Learn more here

    Regards
    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Nathan, You're very kind :) thank you for the link also, I will check it out now :)

    ReplyDelete