Monday, June 2, 2014

DIY upcycled wardrobe

Hi everyone!

 You all know how much I love my vintage and shabby chic pieces! Well today I am going to show you my latest upcycled piece of furniture. 
In one of my previous posts I mentioned the end of my 'university days'. On top of that, the amount of clothing I had at my student house in Bristol and my home in Cornwall was crazy! 
Last year I painted a tall boy wardrobe which was so cute and perfect for my room at the time but I didn't consider the size of it when moving home. 
So, for the last few weeks I have been looking for a decent sized wardrobe. My room isn't HUGE so I couldn't have a queen sized, but just enough for my mountain of clothing.
I searched so long on EBay, gumtree and local newspapers for one but I hadn't seen any that I knew were perfect.

Anyway, near my home is a regular carboot on Wednesday and I popped over before my busy shift of waitressing at work. To my surprise, a gentleman with a large van pulled out this retro wardrobe.


Its an Art Deco 1950's gentlemans wardrobe! I must admit, I really hate furniture before it has been shabby chic'd! I paid £20 for it which was amazing!!! For an extra £10 the seller chucked in a matching chest of talk drawers! 

I got the gentleman to deliver to my home and during my whole shift at work I was super excited to crack on with it.

Firstly, I sanded it over to create a grip for the paint. I then washed the inside with a weak bleach mixture to remove the old furniture and must smell. 

I painted it with B&Q's own branded all purpose paint for wood in a duck egg blue colour (my favourite).

Three coats later I was able to rough the edges using sandpaper and create false appearing scratches and knocks.

TADAHHHHH


Its a perfect fit! I love the round edges because it gives my room a less harsh appearance because the wardrobe is quite big. It looks cute with my stacked suitcases, rabbit light and birdcage!

What do you all think? 

Back Soon,

Rachael 
Xoxoxox

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful find, and the redo is fabulous! Congrats and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete